We celebrated Cam's birthday on Wednesday nite. He was so cute. He was so excited for presents, a birthday hat, birthday cake and ice cream! When we started singing Happy Birthday he got all shy and was saying "Please stop singing! Please stop!" It was very funny.
It was a great day until later that night when Steve heard him getting up. Yep, he got the stomach bug too. He hasn't been sick since he was little. It was a disaster. He didn't want to throw up in the toilet or a bucket. He was holding it in and screaming NO NO NO. I wasn't feeling so great at this point myself but luckily Steve has a stomach of steel. Steve ended up sleeping on the floor with him (Cam's choice) and he got sick a few more times but by morning he was feeling better. Unfortunately, I was not. How Steve escaped this is beyond me!
Today Cam had his well visit. I had been preparing him for it and he did great...until we had to wait 45 minutes to be seen. It was a disaster. He was going crazy, Arianna was going crazy and the worst of them all Steve was going crazy. By the time we got called Cam was a mess. He would barely stand on the scale and stand up straight to be measured. We got 32 3/4lbs (up 5 3/4lbs since last year) and 37 1/2" (up 2 1/2" since last year). I'm not 100% sure those are correct though. Head circumference was 50cm (up 1.5cm since last year). I swear Arianna's is right about there!
Our concerns for this appointment were his constant waking at night and his over abundance of energy. Dr. D asked about his waking at night and we told him it has been happening for 3wks now. I broke out the Ferber book and we have been following that. We have tried putting him down later at night (though probably not as late as we should 9:30 is the latest we have lasted), I wake him after 2 hours of napping, and when he wakes at night I lay him down without saying a word yet he's still waking 2-3 times per night. He's also waking up with the birds, 5:30 every day despite our attempts of turning his room into a cave. Every morning he wakes and says "daddy the suns up" so he thinks its time to get up. Since we tried following Ferber Dr. D said, "Well, why not go see Dr. Ferber?" WHAT? Go see "The Dr. Ferber?" Ok!! I have to admit...I am very interested in meeting him, he's like a celebrity!
After we talked about the sleep issues we talked about the overabundance of energy Cam seems to have. He said the sleeping could be tied into it, it could be that Cam doesn't require a lot of sleep (well that's all well and good but *I* do!!) or that it is just the beginning of A.D.D type behavior. I guess children who eventually become diagnosed with A.D.D do have sleep disturbances. As we were trying to talk Cam was climbing up onto the exam table, then jumping down, spinning on the stool, trying to get out the door, telling me he wanted to put his pants on, telling me he wanted to put his shoes on, grabbing at cups. I said to the Dr. "he's like this all the time, he's non-stop." He said every time he's seen him he's the same way and he is very active, more so than the average 3 yr old. It did make me feel a little bit better hearing that, I must say. Cam is a handful and knowing that its not just me and that I'm doing something wrong by not being able to control him makes me feel a little bit better. Dr. D said we need to try and find something to channel his energy. But it's hard there isn't much for 3 year olds.
So, I am going to set up the appointment with Dr. Ferber and we will go from there. Arianna's 9 month appointment is on June 10th so I will be able to talk a little bit more about Cam when it's a lot calmer.
2 comments:
WOW! I can't believe you are going to meet Dr. Ferber...he IS like a celebrity!
THE Dr. Ferber?!?! Ask him to set up conferences!
How are they 3 already?
Lucy is an early riser - 6am almost every day. Dr. said they only need 10 hours at night so her 8/8:30 bedtime and 6/6:30 rising is enough, Ugh!
Post a Comment